How to Serve Patrons Seeking Help with Legal Matters
- Public librarians are on the front line in serving patrons who seek help with legal matters.
- Numerous online and community resources exist but patrons generally need guidance to find the appropriate resources.
- Public librarians may facilitate access to legal information but not legal advice.
Survey of New York Public Librarians
The Permanent Commission and Modern Courts conducted a survey of public librarians in 2015 to assess if they were asked by patrons for legal information and resources, and which topics were the most frequently requested.
- Over 100 librarians responded to the survey.
- 82% of the surveyed librarians responded that patrons do seek legal information from public librarians.
This graph shows the most commonly requested legal information sought by subject.